Tuesday, May 20

The Thomas Cup and Uber Cup

Our Uber Cuppers did well. We reached quarter finals. I was satisfied with their efforts. :) Maybe when we can find more talented new players, we can mount a serious challenge. China is so lucky in a sense that they have a huge pool of talent to pick from.

Thomas Cup was so near yet so far. Yes, I was disappointed but I think most of our players did their best and if Hafiz were able to move up a gear and not look like there's no more hope on court and be more aggresive, we might have reached the finals. Koo Kien Keat/ Tan Boon Heong looked like thay have lost the magic. They did try though and I applaud that. But maybe they can't play together anymore. Or shouldn't play together anymore if they can't get over their differences on court and play together and support each other. I did not put much hope on Wong Choon Hann but I was still hoping against hope that he could beat Bao Chun Lai and set the standard for the next doubles to emulate. Thankfully the next doubles did not need any as they won their game. But by that time I was weary of the fact that we have to bank on hafiz to clinch a place in the finals. Truthfully, I was already thinking that we could try again next time even before hafiz took to the court. And sadly that thought was proved right by a meek hafiz that did not show any fight and made so many mistakes. If it was the pressure, he was there before and should have been prepared. But alas, another bad showing was all he was capable of. I was sad that so much talent came to nought.

Well...next time maybe we'll take the trophy home. It will be on our owm homeground and I am already planning to be there. :)

No comments: